1. The language they created is what we now call Old English.
2. When we speak English today, we sometimes find it hard to decide which words or phrases to use.
3. The Norman Conquest did not have the same result that the Germanic invasion had had about 600 years ago.
4. Upper class people spoke French while common people spoke English.
5. The question of whether English will continue changing in the future is easy to answer.
6. There are a lot of actions you could take to solve this problem.
7. It takes up a lot of time traveling to Beijing.
8. The Chinese language differs from many Western languages in that it uses characters which have meanings and can stand alone as words.
9. There is a legend that says (saying) that a man named Cang Jie invented Chinese writing.
10. A method was developed to combine one part of the character indicating meaning and the other showing sound.
1. arrange for sb. to do 安排….去做.. 2. go to a lecture / attend a lecture
3. pour out of 从….中倾泻而出 4. take over
5.be covered with /by 6. protect …from…
7.prevent/stop/keep….from- 8.on rainy days
9. drive sb. crazy/mad 10.be involved in
11.take the time to do 12.prepare sb. to do /for sth
13.in good condition/in a good state 14.lead to
15. declare war against 16.set sail for
17.in memory of/in honor of … 18.carry out a surprise attack
19. in use /out of use 20.in return for …
21.manage to do/ try to do 22. no more / no longer
23.(be )on board 24.It was a different story for----
1. I feel lucky to have won a place on this trip.
2. All the people were buried alive , and so was the city.
3. We are off to Naples to visit the museum that houses many of the treasures from Pompeii.
4. Sven found the remains of buildings buried under the sand.
5. They made Professor Zhang chairman of the society.
6. A saying goes that Rome wasn’t built in a day.
7. The money could be better spent on feeding , clothing and housing poor people.
8. What has the world come to when the past matters more than the present?
9. The attack led to the US coming into the Second World War.
10. Not only was Rome a city and a republic , but it also to become the capital of one of the largest empires in history.
11. The Han Dynasty was founded with Chang’an as its capital city.
12. Now known as Xi’an in Shanxi Province , Chang’an was one of the two largest cities in the world at that time
13. In return for silk , China received wine, spices, wool and other goods.
14. It was a different story for China with the formation of the Sui Dynasty in AD 581, which once again reunited China in AD 589.